Handy update for 13,000gns Tattersalls purchase
Ibn Malik, one of the leading British-trained two-year-olds of last year, gained a deserved stakes success today when the easy winner of the Listed Free Handicap at Newmarket. His half-sister Osratty was bought for just 13,000gns by Schumer Bloodstock at Tattersalls in July 2013.
A debut winner at Newmarket and runner-up to Emotionless in the Champagne Stakes (Gr.2) at Doncaster last year, Sheikh Hamdan’s three-year-old proved he had trained on well with an impressive front-running performance to score by two lengths from Scrutineer.
Ibn Malik and Osratty are out of the regally-bred Storm Cat mare Moon’s Whisper, a record $4.4 million yearling purchase by Shadwell who is a daughter of French Champion and Classic winner East Of The Moon. Her second dam is the legendary Miesque, dam of Kingmambo.
Schumer Bloodstock purchased eight horses in Europe during 2013 – 2014. In addition to Osratty, they include:
* BLAMELESS and ENTREATY: bought for €22,000 and 11,000gns, they later became half-sisters to Godolphin’s current Classic prospect Very Talented
* GHUSOON: bought for 7,500gns, this daughter of Red Ransom is a half-sister to Zawraq, subsequently an unbeaten Listed winner
* UTOPIQUE: bought for €8,000, this daughter of Falco is a half-sister to subsequent Listed winner Tristesse
* ASPERITES: bought for €15,000, this daughter of Danehill Dancer won her second American start at Churchill Downs
* SHY ROSA: bought for 10,000gns, this daughter of Dixie Union went on to win five races and turn over approximately $100,000 for connections within six months of purchase
We’ll be at all the major European sales again this year.